Leslie Thornton + Mauricio Kagel
Curated by Astria Suparak
For Pratt Film Series
@ Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
April 28, 1999
A rare screening of films by Argentinian-born, Austrian-based experimental composer Kagel.
1. Antithèse, Mauricio Kagel, 1965, 16mm, 19 min.
2. Unter Strom fur drei Spieler, Mauricio Kagel, 1969, 20 min.
“Peggy and Fred in Hell is one of the strangest cinematic artifacts of the last 20 years, revealing the abuses of history and innocence in the face of catastrophe as it chronicles two small children journeying through a post-apocalyptic landscape… Breaking genre restrictions, Thornton uses improvisation, planted quotes, archival footage, and formless timeframes to confront cause and effect as it is framed in viewers’ preconceptions”
3. Dung Smoke Enters the Palace, Leslie Thornton, 1989, video, 16 min.
4. Peggy and Fred in Kansas, Leslie Thornton, 1989, video, 11 min.
5. Peggy and Fred and Pete, Leslie Thornton, 1988, video, 17 min.